3 Steps to Renew Canadian Permanent Resident Card

A Permanent Resident Card, also commonly known as PR Card, is a document required by Canadian permanent residents, including children, who are planning to travel outside of Canada and then return to Canada by any commercial transporter such as plane, train, boat or bus.

PR Card is valid for five years. Expiring PR card can be renewed by following 3 simple steps.

1. Obtain all the required application forms for the renewal of the PR card and fill out.

2. Gather all the required documents in Document Checklist IMM5574, pay the required Fee and send the complete package to Case Processing Center in Sydney NS. The Fee can be paid online or at a financial institution using IMM 5401.

3. Case Processing Center will check the application. If the application is complete and all the requirements are met, it will be processed.  The new PR card will be sent to appropriate Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) from where it can be picked up.

The renewed PR card must be picked up within 180 days, after that a new application will be required.

If applicant is not physically present in Canada for 730 days during the last five years preceding the filling of application, then PR renewal application will be refused in most cases. In certain circumstances, it is possible to get the PR renewed even if the applicant has not been in Canada for the required period of 730 days. Applicants can  contact us to check the eligibility and find out other requirements.

We can assist applicants in filing the application for PR Card renewal and ensure to avoid any unnecessary delays in the processing of PR card application.



  1. 1) I am single (seperated) mother of 4 children ages 18,16,14 & 8. In
    order to renew my PR card, do my children need their father consent or
    father signature.

  2. how to renew my erpired pr card(i am in india)
    plz tell me how to renew it???what steps i follow?
    plz reply fast..

  3. I am PR card holder
    My husband was the principle immigrant of my family who died in year 2004
    after this incident i did not go back to cannada. Now our PR Cards expired in 2008 what we do for the renewal of PR Cards and futher proceedures ?

  4. I am studying outside Canada . I did not competed the 730 days inside Canada , if I prove that I am studying outside Canada does this put in consideration

  5. 589731 628473Wow, incredible blog format! How lengthy have you been blogging for? you make running a blog glance easy. The full glance of your site is fantastic, as smartly the content material! 391992

Leave A Reply