Canadian Immigration for Foreign PhD Students

Every year 1000 foreign nationals who have completed PhD from a Canadian educational institutions or has completed 2 years of PhD program can apply for Canadian permanent residency under Federal Skilled Worker Class. This years cap starts from November 5, 2011.

In order to be eligible under this category, foreign students who are enrolled in a PhD study program at International students enrolled in a PhD program at a provincially or territorially recognized private or public post-secondary educational institution in Canada must also meet the following criteria:

  • have completed at least two years of study towards a PhD
  • are in good academic standing at the time they apply
  • are not recipients of an award requiring them to return to their home country to apply their knowledge and skills, OR

International students who have graduated no more than 12 months prior to the date their application is received by CIC from a PhD program at a provincially or territorially recognized private or public post-secondary educational institution in Canada can also apply. Moreover, the applicants should not be under any bond requiring them to return to home country. However, international students who required to serve in their country and have done so can also apply for Canadian immigration under this category.

Foreign students all have to meet all the other requirements of the federal skilled worker immigration class such as age, language, experience, education etc and score the required pass marks of 67 out of maximum of 100 in order to be eligible to apply for Canadian immigration.

This category will have a cap of 1000 applications per year and is separate from the overall cap of 10,000 applications per year. The cap for this year started from November 5, 2011.

This program should not be confused with the provincial nominee programs for PhD students such as Ontario has for PhD students.

We can help you in assessing your eligibility as Federal Skilled Worker or provide you the best alternate option to immigrate to Canada.  Click Here to Contact us to check out if you qualify.


1 Comment

  1. Hi community

    i m faustin i m from congo i can speak french and english i m here in south africa i m technician in refrigeration electrical appliance i m looking somebody to help me to come there in manitoba i know iwill get the job sometime when a search i find the job but i m far and wen i send my cv to the company there the ask me the sponsorship if you can help me my self i will buy my air ticket please help me to come there. what i must do to come to study

    the best

    eor mupata faustin

Leave A Reply