Canadian Post-Graduation Work Permit for International Students

International students after completion of study program leading to graduation may be eligible to obtain Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) allowing them to gain valuable experience in Canadian work environment. Furthermore, the post-graduation work experience may also make them eligible to apply for Canadian Permanent Residence under Canadian Experience Class or Provincial nominee programs for international students.

International students must choose an educational institution that meets the requirements of off-campus work permit during studies in Canada and the post-graduation work permit.

International graduates must meet the following basic requirements to obtain a work permit after graduation:

  • International graduate must have studied full time in Canada and must have completed a program of study that has a minimum duration of eight months. International students, who have been studying full-time during studies but are registered as a part-time student because only few courses are required to graduate in the last semester, are eligible to apply for a Post Graduation Work Permit.

In addition, international student must have graduated from:

    • a public post-secondary institution, such as a college, trade/technical school, university or CEGEP (in Quebec), or
    • a private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as public institutions, and receives at least 50 percent of its financing for its overall operations from government grants (currently only private college-level educational institutions in Quebec qualify), or
    • Canadian private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees but only if student is enrolled in one of the programs of study leading to a degree as authorized by the province and not in all programs of study offered by the private institution.
  • International graduate must apply for a post graduation work permit within 90 days of receiving written confirmation from educational institution indicating that all the requirements for completing the academic program has been fulfilled. The written confirmation can be, for example, an official letter or a transcript.
  • International graduate must have completed and passed the program of study and received a notification confirming the eligibility to obtain  degree, diploma or certificate.
  • International graduate must have a valid study permit when applying for the post graduation work permit.

The length of the post-graduation work permit varies with the duration of study program. An international graduate may get a 3 years post-graduation work permit if the duration of course is 2 years or more.

Some international students who meet the other entire requirement may still not be eligible to obtain post-graduation work permit. For example international graduate receiving funding from the Canadian International Development Agency will not qualify to receive post graduation work permit.

Contact us for more information about post-graduation work permit in Canada.



  1. please evaluate my situation i am agraduate of NAIT here in alberta as a machinist full time study pre employment of the government and i have passed thier provincial 1st year apprenteship board examination, my problem right now is to get a new work permit from a new employer most of the company are willing to hire me right away they start to ask me when can i start, its very prostrating in my part that i have to wait untill now how can practice my knowledge now? i have to wait 6months to get a work permit? i have paid my school my own pocket for 9000 dollars hoping to get a good job an improve my self and living condition, now im still here waitimg for that job cant cause im still on a work permit lock to one company! hope you guys could help me godbless

    jose christopher doblado

Leave A Reply