Dentists NOC 3113 diagnose, treat, prevent and control disorders of the teeth and mouth. They work in private practice or may be employed in hospitals, clinics, public health facilities or universities. Following are the possible designations, job responsibilities and employment requirements to work as dentist in Canada:
Possible Job Titles:
- dental officer – military
- dental surgeon
- doctor of dental surgery
- general practice dentist
- implantologist – dentistry
- oral and dental surgeon
- oral and maxillofacial surgeon
- oral medicine specialist
- oral pathologist
- oral pathology and maxillofacial surgery specialist
- oral radiologist
- oral surgeon
- pediatric dentist
- public health dentist
Main Job Duties
- Dentists perform some or all of the following duties:
- Examine patients’ teeth, gums and surrounding tissue to diagnose disease, injury and decay and plan appropriate treatment
- Restore, extract and replace diseased and decayed teeth
- Perform oral surgery, periodontal surgery and other treatments
- Clean teeth and instruct patients on oral hygiene
- Design bridgework, fit dentures and provide appliances to correct abnormal positioning of the teeth and jaws, or write fabrication instructions or prescriptions for use by denturists and dental technicians
- Supervise dental hygienists, dental assistants and other staff.
- Dentists may specialize in such areas as oral and maxillofacial surgery, orthodontics, pediatric dentistry, periodontics, endodontics, prosthodontics, oral pathology, oral radiology or public health dentistry.
- One to four years of pre-dentistry university studies, or, in Quebec, completion of a college program in sciences; and
- A university degree from a recognized dental program are required.
- Licensing by a provincial or territorial regulatory body is required.
- Dentists in general practice can move into a specialized practice through advanced training.
- Licensing for specializations is required.
We can help you in assessing your eligibility and provide you the best option to immigrate to Canada. Click Here to Contact us to check out how you can come and live in Canada.