New Changes in Canada Study Permit for International Students

New Changes in Canada Study Permit for International Students Citizenship and Immigration Canada will be changing the Canada study permit rules for international students from June 1, 2014. The changes in the existing study permit regulations will make it easier for foreign students to work to gain Canadian experience while studying without having to apply separately for off-campus work permit.  Only the designated educational institutions will be allowed to enroll international students in the study programs. The changes will allow eligible foreign nationals to apply for Canadian study permit from within Canada which is not possible under the existing Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations.

New Changes in the Canada Study Permit Rules:

1. Study at Designated Educational Institutions:

International students will be required to enroll and pursue their studies at a designated educational institution. The study permits of those foreign students who fail to comply will be revoked and may be removed from Canada.

2. Work Allowed During Studies:

Canadian study permit will authorize the foreign students to engage in the paid employment activities for 20 hours a week during academic sessions. They will be eligible to work full time during holidays and breaks between academic semesters. They will not have to apply for off-campus work permit any more after the new changes in the Canada study permit come into force on June 1, 2014. It is a good move for foreign students as they will be eligible to work from the day one they are admitted into Canada on study permit without having to wait for first 6 months and then apply for off-campus work permit. The study permit holder must be pursuing academic, vocational or professional training of six months or more. Studies must lead to a degree, diploma or certificate at a designated institution.

3. Restrictions on Co-Op Work Permit:

The changes will allow only those international students who are studying at a secondary school or a designated institution to apply for a Co-Op Work Permit if co-op placement is an integral part of their course of study. Currently any international student can apply for Co-Op Work Permit if co-op is part of their study program.

4. Apply for Study Permit within Canada:

Visitors are not allowed to apply for Study Permit from within Canada. New study permit rules will allow foreign students to apply for study permit from within Canada if they:

  • are at the pre-school, primary or secondary level;
  • are on academic exchange or are visiting students ; or
  • have completed a course or program of study that is a condition for acceptance at a designated learning institution.

5. Expiry of Canada Study Permit:

Canadian study permit will become invalid after 90 days of completion of the study program and foreign students will have to leave Canada if they do not receive post-graduation work permit or other authorization to remain the country.

6. Post-Graduation Work Permit:

Foreign students will be allowed to work full time while waiting a decision on their application for post-graduation work permit.

Who Will be Affected?

All the international students who require to obtain a study permit will be affected by the new changes in the study permit rules.

The changes in the Canadian Study Permit will make it easier for international students to obtain study permit, gain valuable work experience in Canadian labour market and then transition smoothly into the Canadian workforce after completing their study program.


Leave A Reply