Sponsor Spouse, Common-law Partner or Conjugal Partner for Canadian Permanent Residence

Canadian immigration rules allow Canadian permanent residents and citizens to sponsor their spouses, common-law partners or conjugal partners to come and live in Canada provided that sponsoring and sponsored family members meet eligibility criteria.

Spouses: A spouse is someone who is married to the sponsor and the marriage is legally valid.

Common-Law Partner: A common-law partner, either of the opposite sex or same sex, must have been living with the sponsor in a conjugal relationship for at least one year in a continuous 12-month period that was not interrupted.

Conjugal Partner: These are the partners, either of the opposite sex or same sex, in exceptional circumstances beyond their control that prevent them from qualifying as common-law partners or spouses by living together.

The sponsoring Canadian permanent resident or citizen must sign a sponsorship agreement with the spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner agreeing to financially support him/her.

The sponsor make the commitment to take care of all the financial needs of a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner being sponsored for a minimum period of three years after obtaining the permanent resident status.

Recent regulatory amendments in immigration rules have made it much easier for the immigration officials to refuse the sponsorship application. There have been media reports of a number of cases where the spouse was denied permanent residency as visa officer was not satisfied that relationship was genuine.

Sponsoring spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner can sometime be a complex process and error or omission of any document or information can lead to either delay in processing of permanent residency application. In some cases, it may even lead to refusal.

Contact Brilliancy Immigration to discuss the sponsorship case before submitting the application.


1 Comment

Leave A Reply